Successful Business Analysis Consulting
Strategies and Tips for Going It Alone
Tips and Hacks
# Business Analysis :-
" Business Analysis Helps Businesses Do Business Better."
The Business Analyst is an agent of change. Business Analysis is a disciplined approach for introducing and managing change to organizations, whether they are for-profit businesses, governments, or non-profits.
Job titles for business analysis practitioners include not only business analyst, but also business systems analyst, systems analyst, requirements engineer, process analyst, product manager, product owner,
enterprise analyst, business architect, management consultant, business intelligence analyst, data scientist, and more. Many other jobs, such as management, project management, product management, software development, quality assurance and interaction design rely heavily on business analysis skills for success. Business analysis is used to identify and articulate the need for change in how organizations work, and to facilitate that change. As business analysts, we identify and define the solutions that will maximize the value delivered by an organization to its stakeholders. Business analysts work across all levels of an organization and may be involved in everything from defining strategy, to creating the enterprise architecture, to taking a leadership role by defining the goals and requirements for programs and projects or supporting continuous improvement in its technology and processes.
# Business Strategy :- Business Strategy analysis involves outcome focused thinking, simultaneously understanding business context, business challenges, and the complexities of the internal and external
environment to frame the scope of the transformation, articulate the business need/outcome, and shape the agenda for transformation. Strategic business analysis requires a focus on all aspects of the organization. It leverages business analysis, change leadership, and program and project management. Strategic business analysis focuses on ‘what and why’, not the ‘how’ of solution implementation.
# Consulting :- Business Analyst-Consultant is the one who meets with the clients to help them document and understand business needs. These needs can be anything, from an IT-based project to initiating the
improvement of a process. Training staff, analyzing client requirements, business processes, and monitoring all resource requirements all fall in your list of responsibilities. You will be meeting with clients in different places and viewing every business operation firsthand. It is crucial to understand what exactly are the client's concerns and what they expect from the company. As a Business Analyst-Consultant,you
should have a comprehensive set of skills such as analytical, communication skills, and a touch of art and creativity to meet your responsibilities. It is so because you have to analyze various things that are listed as your obligations. In general, business analyst consultants hold a bachelor's degree in business administration. But you can still have a career as a business analyst consultant having only a high school degree.
# Strategies :- Business analysis has taken a paradigm shift in the last few years with the innovative approaches of best business analysis techniques.The sole purpose of these techniques is to get the best
outcome as a business solution. List of Best Business Analysis strategies are -
1. SWOT Analysis :- The term SWOT stands for its four elements–
2. MOST Analysis
The term MOST stands for its four elements –
This is a group activity and one of the most popular business analysis techniques among the business analysts. This is a very creative technique where a group activity is performed to generate ideas, root cause
analysis and proposing solutions for the problems. Not to mention Brainstorming works as an underlying technology for other business analysis techniques including SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, etc.
4. PESTLE Analysis
There are always environmental factors which influence business in its strategic planning. These key factors are commonly known as PESTLE which stands for –
E – Economic
S – Social
T – Technological
E – Environmental
5. Requirement Analysis
Requirement analysis is a part of the project lifecycle, and it usually starts at the stage when business stakeholders propose a solution. As part of requirement analysis technique, a business analyst needs to conduct interviews to understand the intention of requirements which include –
# Tips and Hacks of Business Analysis :-
# Tips :
1. Work on your confidence :- We’re not all naturally confident but by reassuring ourselves of our abilities in our BA skills or in our industry knowledge we can instill the needed confidence and trust from our
business stakeholders that we can understand their world view and needs.
2. Be Optimistic :- Pointing out the bad may be necessary but if you find yourself always the nay-sayer then fix it. Problems are our business. Our optimism can make for a gentler change process.
3. Learn, learn and learn some more :- If you have the means then don’t stop learning. There is so much training available in BA skills, industry knowledge, peripheral project skills, business knowledge,
techniques and soft skills.
4. Be nice :- No one wants to work with a jerk. No one wants to help and supply information to a jerk so engender support. Thank people, go out of your way to be personable, establish friendships and mutually
positive working relationships.
5. Read Widely :- The IT industry is constantly changing and working practices follow hot on the heels. Our understanding of business practice, psychology, methods for collaboration and effecting change
progresses. Manuals, how-to guides and handbooks to support our work are plentiful.
# Hacks :
1. Know the Brand :- This cannot be out of the box or else, you’ll only shoot off the target once you’re done with your analysis. You need to understand the business you’re analyzing and what they do, what they
are producing their goals and objectives. A little bit of empathy will do the trick faster. Empathy first strengthens the bond between you and your client. This allows you to get easy access to as much information
as you need and even sniff out the untold data not given.
2. Communicate with Your Clients Better :- You don’t want to start talking to your client and look lost or something like that. You’d need to be able to ask the right questions and get the necessary answers.
This will also help you know what tools to use for your analysis like MOST, PESTLE, SWOT, MoSCoW, CATWOE.
3. Know your Customers :- You can’t just begin to analyze, when you don’t know a lot about your target customers.This will help you to know what trick to use and know where to find tangible information from
them to help your analysis.Know your customers before starting your analysis. You also stand the chance of what people think of the brand if you take measures to understand what goes on in the mind of your
4. Develop a Plan :- You’d have to be proactive. Be a walking thinking box. As you get each information, draw out a plan that suits the information gathered.You don’t have to wait till all the information is
complete before you start mapping out a plan for your job. By the time you get the whole pieces together, you just have to hit the nail on the head immediately. This will definitely blow your client away at how
fast you’ve able to come up with a solution almost at the end of your analysis.
5. Set a Target Before the Target Sets You :- There is nothing that sparks a fire than when one knows he has a deadline to meetup. It puts you on your toes and I know that can mess things up a bit with
misplacements here and there. However, what we will be describing here is different. An athlete runs like never before when he knows what is at stake you know, and what’s even more interesting is when he is
breaking his own record. Setting a target can be very demanding, but it could be easier you know, Why? That’s because you already have a plan, remember? Setting a deadline makes it a lot easier for you to
meet up with your tasks, because the plan is yours and the deadline is yours too.
Pragati Agrawal MBA
AirCrews Aviation Pvt. Ltd.